Photo by Madison Inouye
In my last blog, I spoke about what an ally is, how to be an effective ally and what not to do as an ally. In these two blogs we are talking about being an ally to the LGBTQIA+ community, and more specifically to your child, however much of what I speak about can also be utilised for any marginalised group. Just in case you didn’t see it, I’ll do a quick recap, but if you want to know in more detail, head over to my last blog, ‘How to be an Effective Ally’, and take a read.
An ally is…
An ally is someone who aligns themselves with others, in support of, a marginalised group, to which they don’t belong. They stand up for injustices and stand alongside individuals and groups in both macro and micro contexts.
Talk over the individuals or groups they are representing. They do not speak for them without discussion and consultation. They are mindful to stand alongside and speak up for them when those from the marginalised group are too exhausted, afraid or not present to do so.
How to be an effective ally for your child and their community?
As discussed in my last blog, allies can do a fabulous job, by taking some of the following actions and this is without stepping into the realm of overt activism (that’s a whole other blog topic):
- Be a good role model
- Speak up when you don’t have to
- Remember that silence condones
- Stand beside your child and stand tall
- Love and support them unconditionally
- Educate others
- Stay in your lane
- Truly come to terms with your child’s sexuality or gender identity
- Be interested and curious
- Active Listening – Hear their pain
You might decide you want to be even more public and stand up against the big organisations, governments or societal norms and expectations. It may take some time till you get to this stage, however, I want you to know that the ‘smaller stuff’ is as important and perhaps sometimes more important.
Your child might like you to attend a Pride Parade with them, or they might prefer you to go with a parent’s group. Regardless, check-in with yourself and make sure you’re ready. You don’t have to be comfortable, because you are unlikely to be, until you do it a few times, but it’s good to feel ready. Being out of your comfort zone is virtually a prerequisite for being an effective ally.
That being said, self-care is vital. So how do you do that?
Self-care as an ally
It’s important to take care of yourself first so that you’re able to continue to take care of others. Putting your oxygen mask on first is no mistake. If we burn out, we’ve got no chance of continuing to be supportive and advocating. How can you take care of yourself as an ally? Below is a short list to get you started.
- Safety first – avoid compromising yours or anyone else’s safety. If you don’t feel safe to stand up, to protect others please call for help.
- Choose what works for you – whilst it’s important to get out of your comfort zone in order to be an ally, it’s also important to do what feels right for you. If verbally challenging a person doesn’t feel like the right thing for you in that moment perhaps it’s standing next to the person who is being treated poorly. Perhaps it’s using your body language or facial expression to send a message of disapproval, perhaps it’s not laughing at a joke.
- Educate yourself – staying informed is an important way to feel confident and clear, which will reduce stress and tension. You can do this in a variety of ways, books, blogs, courses, talking with others, articles, groups etc.
- Sleep well – being an ally or an advocate can be exhausting particularly if you are attending rallies and protests and being very active in the public or political space. So it’s important to get plenty of rest and sleep to keep your stress levels down and the brain and the body functioning well.
- Eat well – for the same reasons that sleep is important, having a nutritious diet will also keep your strength up and your focus.
- Communicate with your child – be sure to know their opinions and what they are wanting from you. Do they want you to speak up when they are there or would they rather you left it for them? How do they want that to look? When do they want you to stand up? How can they let you know in the moment? Is there a code word? Do they want you to come to rallies and protests marches etc. with them or would they rather you go by yourself or with a parent group? Remember this is their journey, don’t take it personally if they don’t want you to go with them, but know that they appreciate every bit of support that you give them. If communication is a struggle, perhaps it’s time to seek some support to improve that. This is a key element of one of my programs. If you’d like to know more, I’d love to have a chat.
Allies are such a crucial element of our society. They play all sorts of roles and are important in a variety of ways. You can be an effective ally, regardless of what stage you are at. Comfort zones are not a place that allies hang out in, a lot. However, self-care is vital for sustainable allyship. Be kind to yourself and always put your own oxygen mask on first.
What’s your favourite self-care strategy? Do you have any that are different to what I’ve mentioned? Let’s take care of each other and build a comprehensive list together.
If you are looking for support or strategies to get to the stage where you can feel confident and ready to be an ally for your child, please reach out, so we can have a chat about the various ways I can support you.
Thanks really useful. Will share site with my buddies. Sabina Olenolin Sapienza
Thanks Sabina, I appreciate that 🙂
Thanks a lot for the article. Really thank you! Great. Lind Hazel Lincoln
You’re welcome, Lind. Thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed it. Self care is so important 😀
And I thought I was the sensible one. Thanks for setting me straight. Danny Jacob McCallion
No worries 😀 Self-care is so important in all areas of our lives. Especially when we are trying to care for and about others.
I think this internet site holds very excellent indited subject material articles . Jany Rand Alastair
Thank you 🙂
Howdy! This post could not be written any better!
Reading through this article reminds me of my previous roommate!
He constantly kept talking about this. I will send this article to him.
Fairly certain he’ll have a very good read. Many thanks for sharing!
Thanks, I appreciate the share 😀
I don’t even know the way I ended up right here, however I believed this publish was great.
I don’t recognise who you are but definitely you are going to a
famous blogger for those who are not already. Cheers!
Also visit my website; best CBD for dogs
Awww, thanks 😀
Quality articles is the crucial to interest the visitors to visit the
web site, that’s what this web site is providing.
Thank You 😀
Great blog here! Also your website loads up fast! What host are you using?
Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I wish my web
site loaded up as fast as yours lol
Thanks, I’m glad you liked it. If you’re interested in talking further about host etc, feel free to email me through my website 😀
This is a topic that’s close to my heart… Best wishes!
Exactly where are your contact details though?
Thank you, I’m glad it spoke to you.
You can contact me through the contact page on my website. The button is next to the blog button.
Feel free to reach out if you’d like to discuss further.
Wow, that’s what I was exploring for, what a information! present here at this web site, thanks admin of
this website. asmr 0mniartist
I always emailed this blog post page to all my
friends, as if like to read it then my friends
will too. asmr 0mniartist
Thank you, I truly appreciate your support.
May I simply say what a comfort to uncover someone that truly knows what they’re talking about on the
internet. You definitely understand how to bring an issue to light and make it important.
More people should look at this and understand this side of your story.
I was surprised that you are not more popular because you certainly have the gift.
my web page – best delta 8 thc gummies
Thanks, I appreciate your kind words
We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
Your web site provided us with valuable information to work on. You have done
an impressive job and our entire community will be thankful to you.
I am truly grateful to the holder of this site who has shared this impressive post
at at this time. 0mniartist asmr
It is perfect time to make some plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy.
I have read this post and if I may just I want to counsel you
few attention-grabbing issues or suggestions. Perhaps you could write
subsequent articles regarding this article.
I wish to read even more issues approximately it!
Feel free to surf to my web page; delta 8
Nice blog! Thanks you all star articles good story!
Hey there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after reading through some
of the post I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely happy
I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back frequently!
Thanks Koby, I appreciate it
Somebody essentially assist to make severely posts I’d state.
This is the very first time I frequented your web
page and to this point? I surprised with the research you made to make this particular post extraordinary.
Really when someone doesn’t understand then its up to other users that they will assist, so here it